At Battery Media Group we collect different types of information about our users for four main reasons:
- To provide personalized services unique to individual users.
- To help us to monitor and improve the services we offer.
- To sell advertising space on the site. This helps us to keep the site free for people who visit it.
- If we have permission from the user, or where otherwise allowed by law, to market services to them.
There may be other privacy policies that apply to certain services we provide. Please read these when you register or subscribe for these services on these sites.
- We do our very best to protect your privacy by using security technology appropriately. This means:
- we make sure that we have appropriate security measures to protect your information; and
- we make sure that when we ask another organization to provide a service for us, they have appropriate security measures.
- We will respect your privacy. You should receive marketing (whether by email, post, SMS or telephone) only from us and, if you agree, from other organizations we have carefully chosen. We will make sure it is clear when you can make these choices, for example, we have boxes you need to tick if you want to receive marketing and you can change your preferences if you no longer want to receive it. However, we may email you occasionally with information or questions about your registration, your subscription account or postings, for example, with reminders, warnings or copyright requests.
- We will collect and use individual user details only if we have your permission or we have sensible business reasons for doing so, such as collecting enough information to manage subscriptions.
- We will be clear in our dealings with you as to what information about you we will collect and how we will use it.
- We will use personal information only for the purposes for which it was originally collected and we will make sure we delete it securely.
- Our site is accessible via the internet. This means that people around the world who access our website can see anything you post on the website, for example, comments about an article.
- If we or our service providers transfer any information out of the European Economic Area (EEA), it will only be done with the relevant protection (stated under UK law) being in place.
How we use your information
What information do we collect?
We collect information on you:
- when you use the website
- through cookies
- if you choose to reveal information in postings, and
- when you enter sales promotions and competitions.
Certain services that we provide may involve us collecting extra information (Membership, for example), such as where you are, so the service can be provided as designed. This may also apply to certain apps that you download, or which we provide.
Use of children’s data
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16 and we do not offer any of our products or services directly to children under the age of 13.
Who we share data with
Depending on where you live, your personal information may be shared with the Battery Media Group collection of companies that are based in the UK or USA.
We will not share your personal information with others for marketing purposes unless you have given us your permission. If we have your permission, we will share your information only with other organisations we have chosen carefully.
We can access and release personal information to keep to relevant laws and government requests, to operate our systems properly and to protect both us and our users.
Any other organisations who access your information in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your information and keep to data-protection and privacy laws which apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards. We may use service providers to help us run these sites (or services available on the sites), some of whom may be based outside the EEA.
Some of our webpages use plug-ins from other organisations. These other organisations may use information about your visit to our websites on their pages.
- For statistical purposes to track how many users we have and how often they visit our websites. We collect information listing which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users and from which countries.
- We use other organisations to collect anonymous user information, sometimes through cookies and web beacons, (information embedded in images which allow them to analyse how the website is being used and the number of visitors).
- You can turn cookies off but if you do this, you may not be able to use all services on our websites and you might see more pop-ups and other advertising.
- This is because we won’t be able to limit what you see by using cookies.
- However, you will still be able to see our editorial content.
We use Google Analytics on our sites for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)
About our advertising
When you visit one of our websites or use one of our apps, advertising networks and other intermediaries select and then display adverts on your device.
List of our partners can be accessed via the consent management tool.
Our sites contain links to other websites from which we may earn revenue. Our articles are never influenced by advertisers or affiliates, nor are they written for the purpose of promoting a product, except when clearly branded as a ‘sponsored by’, ‘brought to you by’ or ‘supported by’ ‘Supported by’, ‘Paid content/paid for by’ or ‘Advertiser content’/’from our advertisers’ to represent sponsored content, advertisement features and foundation funded features respectively.
If you want to opt out of receiving online behavioural advertising, this does not mean that you will no longer receive advertising when you are using our sites. It just means that the advertising you see will not be customised for you.
Legal information and how to contact us
Under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 we have to say who the ‘data controller’ is for services provided through our websites.
The data controller is the organisation responsible for protecting information and, in our case, is BATTERY MEDIA GROUP, 90 State Street, Suite 700 Office 40, Albany, NY 12207.
If you would like access to or a copy of the personal information we hold about you, to request a correction, or have any questions about how we may use it or to make a complaint, please contact the Data Protection Manager at the address shown above. Or, email [email protected]
Complaints will be dealt with by the Data Protection Manager, and will be responded to within 30 days at the latest.
If you are not satisfied with the way your complaint was handled, you may be able to refer your complaint to your local data protection regulator. For example, in the United Kingdom this is the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Where required by law, will we obtain your consent to make these changes.